100 years of trash

MINISTRANTtotheSELFRIGHTEOUS

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Mad Dog of the Middle East & The Shapeshifting Bar Maiden

The Libyan flags looked out the box new but the giant posters of Muammar al-Gaddafi showed the colonel looking just as I remember him on the news 25 years ago. We were headed north destined we thought for the mountains of Badou. The military police blocking the roads and manning the crowds weren't so sure. And at our third road block when a cop smacked our cab driver he bid us adieu and headed back south without us. We strapped on our packs and started walking the parade route where the crowds cheered us and the soldiers ignored us. Before long a dude approached us offering the front seats on a bus to badou for pennies as soon as traffic started moving again. We mingled in the beerless town until the band struck up and Reagan's Mad Dog of the Middle East came by in his presidential motorcade. The thirty second anticlimax ended with us on the bush taxi and back on the road north to Badou. It was a long slow ride and we passed the time singing dancing and entertaining the young Tuareg lady behind us. We were all but home free when some dude hogties six goats and loads them on to the bus. The ones inside are OK but the ones tied to the roof are screaming like nothing I've ever heard before. They sound very human. We then proceeded to stop at every single town until Badou and each time another woman hopped on the bus with multiple live chickens stuffed in bags. Needless to say the last twenty miles seemed like hundreds.


When we arrived in Badou the town was far bigger than we had anticipated and we had no idea where our friend lived. We found a bar sat outside and refueled with Awooyo and the most delicious boiled eggs I've ever had. The proprietor of the bar was the friendliest little elderly lady who plugged Kevin's phone in for him and actually let him use hers when he had battery juice but no signal. We couldn't have gotten in touch with Carolyn without her help. We expressed our gratitude with plans to return as we headed down the road to the filling station to meet Carolyn. Carolyn took us to her friend Papa V's bar for peanuts and Awooyo. Papa V asked me if I had an iPod he could plug into his system. I did and Vampire Weekend joined the spirits in the mountain air.

The next morning we got moving early; Coca cola and spaghetti and hot sauce with a spoon out of a black plastic bag for breakfast. We hiked to the falls at the top of the mountain with giant flesh eating black ants drawing minimal blood leaving their disembodied heads wriggling in the rubber of my flip-flops.













After hiking back down the mountain the mountain we couldn't think of a better treat than Awooyos and boiled eggs from our gracious hostess of the night before. When we got to the bar we went inside for the first time to escape the late afternoon heat. The woman in charge this afternoon looked a bit like our friend from the night before but roughly thirty-five years younger. When she returned with our order Kevin asked her in Ewe "Where is your mom...or your grandmother?..She really helped us out last night." The young woman gave Kevin a look of confusion and amusement.

She replied "That was me. I am your friend from last night." She left to continue shelling eggs. Kevin and I looked at one another in bewilderment. I surveyed the bar for the first time. We had only been out front the night before. The beer and eggs had come out of a French Red Cross cooler. There were stretchers hanging on all the walls. Booze was locked in a giant old medicine cabinet. Carolyn observed that it was no ordinary table our beers and eggs were resting on but a rustic operating table.

posted by 100YearsOfTrash @ 1:56 PM 

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Brown said...

There are large billboards in the city now with his iconic photo and the words "Architect of the United States of Africa"

hmm.

Are you going to write about Kedgebe? :)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Soulla said...

the part with the old lady looking younger sounds a little freaky. what could've happened there? [i'm kb's friend btw :)]

5:31 PM  
Blogger 100YearsOfTrash said...

I wrote all about Kedgebe in a card to our friend in Badou today. I'll get around to putting it here maybe. Truth is I was so red hot mad the whole time I don't remember the details. I guess I prefer to remember scarfy, the healer, & the cola nut crew from earlier in the day.

Soulla, that sort of thing happens twice a day everyday in the land of spirits. It gets under your skin...and stays there.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Soulla said...

you guys have your own little lingo going on here! so is lome or africa the land of the spirits? i guess you must have been really impressed. i'm quite near there [cyprus] wish i could've visited him too. next academic year for sure!

9:23 AM  
Blogger 100YearsOfTrash said...

Togo, Lome in particular, is the Voodoo capital of the world. I started my trip with amused curiosity toward Animism & Voodoo. Amused curiosity quickly turned to respectful terror.

You must visit while you have the chance. I would move there with my family tomorrow if the opportunity arose.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Me

My Photo
Name: 100YearsOfTrash
Location: Washington, D.C.

View my complete profile

On Draught

Spoetzl Brewery Shiner Bock

House Red

Dancing Bull Zinfandel(2004)

Now Playing

Previous Posts

  • Girl Talk - Feed The Animals, Album Of The Year?
  • Take Me Away Fast
  • These Are the Roots of Rhythm & the Roots of Rhyth...
  • Le Femme Epanouie
  • Diversifying Classroom Instruction and Structures ...
  • Back in the U.S.A.
  • Lome' is amazing. The streets are filled with an ...
  • Greetings from West Africa
  • Rest in Peace
  • Rumours Afoot

Powered by Blogger