Don't You Worry About That Beer. I Got My Own Little Personal Discount For That.
I took my first visit to Nationals Park on Monday. I have been eying the progress of the ballpark at the near end of the Frederick Douglas Bridge since September when I started working in Anacostia. The place is more beautiful than I anticipated and brings to mind the ancient addage "there ain't a bad seat in the house." It isn't quite PNC Park, but it's close enough that I plan on spending a good deal of the summer at one or the other. Thanks to a great friend we took in the heartbreaking four hour run fest from four rows behind first base. The line for Ben's Chili Bowl at the park is still too long, but I had an interesting experience at one of its many other concession stands. I arrived at the counter and ordered the usual Miller Genuine Draft and Nachos with lots of hot peppers. No hot peppers. No problem. I got ready to hand over fifteen dollars but the cash register seemed stuck at $4.50, the price of the nachos. "Can I get an MGD as well please?"
"Yeah. I got that."
"Nachos and a beer?"
"Don't you worry about that beer. I got my own little personal discount for that."
I handed over a ten. I was perplexed.
My man opens the cash register, slips in the ten, removes my $5.50 in change, slides the change into his pocket, and immediately proceeds to fill a giant, schedule on the side, 32 ounce, plastic pop cup with Miller Genuine Draft. He snapped on the souvenir cup's plastic top and poked in the huge flexible straw. He handed me the cup with my nachos. I'd have left the stand scratching my head had it not been the case my hands were full.
Nate said it happened because I have long hair. I'm not sure why it happened, but I don't think it had anything to do with my hair.

2 Comments:
Nice...so you will be buying the beer in May?? we sure won't be getting any "long hair" discounts here. Maybe there is a "cubs" discount??
Beers in the 'burgh are on me, cheap and delicious; no need for a discount.
Post a Comment
<< Home