Police & Thieves
I have some concerns about a property not far from my house. An illegal gambling operation runs out of the house; at times I have wondered what else might go on inside as well. My libertarian tendencies and frustrating prior experience with the MPD have led me to ignore the house as best I could. This morning I was drawn to a window by a loud upset woman with a sailor's mouth. She was charging at a half dressed man with a brick in her hand; her two year old daughter stood by and watched. I called 311, the MPD's non emergency number to report what was going on. I also asked to file a larger complaint about the property, but was told I needed to call the Third District. I asked to be transferred to the Third District, which I was, by the unpleasant dispatcher.
When I was transferred to the Third District, I told another dispatcher what I had seen, relayed the history of problems at the property, and expressed my concern that there were young children there in the presence of violent criminal behavior. The dispatcher informed me that "MPD does not take complaints over the phone." She suggested that I walk over to where the police were mediating the angry mob in front of the property, and express my concern to the officers, while the brick wielding gamblers and prostitutes looked on. I immediately flashed back to the umpteen times I had seen high ranking Metropolitan Police vilifying the black community on the TV news, because its members "refuse to give information regarding crimes to the police."
Junior Mervin - Police & Thieves

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home